Let’s talk about living in a house. We know that we all have our dream houses, it can be as big as a castle or as tiny as tiny houses. One thing that we have in mind if we think about living in the comfort of our house is to relax, be free from problems and stress, to feel secured, and to enjoy everything that we invested to our so called dream houses. As of today’s design, houses are now very modern, slick, and built for the future. Which comes with the responsibility on our end to take care of these houses in order for them to last and reach the future. And it will all start in one of the simplest part of a house, the Gutter System. Let’s go over and talk about the things that we need to know about gutter systems, how to clean them, what tools are needed to clean them, how does our work compares to the professionals, what often should we take care of these systems and what will happen if we don’t clean the gutter.
A house that is free from ceiling leaks is an indicator that it has a strong and well maintained gutter. Let us first talk about gutter, it is a device or an extension from the roof edge that collects rain water and move it far away from the foundation. The primary purpose is to safeguard the house from getting leaks. However, most of us tends to neglect the importance on maintaining gutters and the benefits we get from doing so. Let’s go ahead and talk about each categories about Gutter Cleaning.
What is a Gutter Cleaner?
Gutter Cleaner is commonly referred to the tools and equipment that are needed to perform the task of cleaning the gutter and sewage system from a single household to industrial level. Examples of this are: soaps, detergents, chemical solutions, telescoping tools, water pressure attachments, and gutter cleaning scoops.
Why is Gutter Cleaning?
Being a homeowner corresponds a responsibility to check and maintain the gutter right before the winter kicks in. Our priority should be looking for stuck leaves, debris, and wood branches that might clog the gutter system. Preventing these from building up in the system will ease the worry of having unforeseen issues today and perhaps to the future. Here is a list of benefits we get if we maintain our gutter system.
- It prevents water damage: if the spouts and gutters are blocked by debris like branches and leaves, water may not drain properly and will cause overflow, which is also the common cause of exterior and interior damages of your home.
- It helps make your roof last long: clogged gutters provides no access to water to fall down, meaning it will flood your roof system and can cause damage to it, commonly rust.
- It prevents pest infestation: flood water caused by clogged gutter is an ideal spot for rodents, insects, and birds. This is the thing we don’t want to happen in our home. Don’t you think?
- It prevents from spending so much money: clogged gutter may cause serious damage to our home, if we don’t give time to maintain this system it can lead us to spending a lot of money due to a bigger repair project.
Now that we understand why it is important to have our gutter system cleared up, what do we do next? Although there are no precise answer to the question as to how often do we need to clean our gutters, it is our main responsibility to maintain this at least right before the Winter kicks in or better say before Fall ends. You ma choose to perform this task by yourself but be sure to always be careful as there are risks in this kind of work or you can also have professional service to have better understanding about the status of your system.
How is Guttering Cleaned?
There are a lot of ways to do clean the gutter, we can use power tools or we can use our bare hands. Let us talk about using our hands in cleaning the gutter. In this process we must make sure that we have a strong and stable ladder, it is important to get a reputable one since there are risk involved here. next is a heavy duty gloves, there are debris out there or sharp edges that might cause a cut if we are not careful in doing this process. Last is a scoop and bucket, this is where we transfer the debris, leaves and other foreign stuff that is clogging the gutter system. Once you have removed all the debris, start pouring water into the system to flush out anything that is left in there down the sprout.
What is the fastest way to Clean Gutters?
Cleaning gutters is not an easy task. This requires a lot of effort and time, sometimes it cost us money by hiring professionals to do the job. Aside from that, it is also risky and others are afraid of doing so. So how do can we make it fast? What comes to your mind if we think about the fastest way of cleaning the gutter? Share your thoughts if you have any… Okay going back, one of the fastest way to clean gutters is by using a Leaf Blower. Yes you heard it right. We know that some of these debris are wet and could stick to other areas but this is a method that most of the folks are practicing out there. It makes the job easier and faster by just blowing all the stuff in there. The use of power tools saves us time and it is also a win win investment since there are other task which these tools can be beneficial.
What do professionals use to Clean Gutters?
Now let us talk about how the professionals perform at this job. Since we are talking about professionals, it is expected that the way they clean your system is far greater than yours. Of course it should be since they are charging us for the service. Charges may be a little bit lower or higher it depends on what tools they have invested in to provide quality services. Talking about tools, these professionals are using the best industrial-strength vacuums or even truck mounted vacuums. They are also using a power washer to blast clogs out. They invested in these kinds of equipment to provide quality service. Their work is not limited to blasting debris only, they also offer services like cleaning the exterior of our systems. That means using power brush to get rid of moss, algae and other marks on the gutter.
What month should I Clean Gutters?
Taking note of the months or period as to when we should clean our gutters is crucial. Although, there is no standard policy with regards to this matter since it will depend on where you live or located in the World. But for who experiences the Autumn or Fall season, it is important to remember the months of September to December. We should pay attention during these months as this is the time where debris are faster to accumulate and cause issues. We should be prepared and ready for repetitive cleaning in preparation for the Winter season. Winter is another season that we must not take for granted as well, this period would start on December and ends on March. Our primary goals to clean the gutter system right before the Winter starts to give space for the ice to accumulate and settle in. But it is also advisable to not just let these ice accumulate, scraping these ice is also important and can prevent damage to the system as this generate enough weight to break the system if we don’t take actions on this.
What happens when you don’t Clean Gutters?
Let us pay attention to this section as this will save us from the worse case scenario. Some of the folks out there are taking this matter for granted and it is totally fine, they have the right to do so. But think of it this way, if we allow a problem to grow to a much more complicated problem then we end up getting multiple problems which will cause us more loss in revenue and time. Aside from that a simple gutter problem can be a way to other issues in the house, like damage in the ceiling, overflowing, pest infestation, electrical issues that could lead to worse, fire. Just think of those possible scenarios we would experience if we don’t clean our gutter system.
Not cleaning our system will only create a problem which will then turn into a bigger problem in the future. That is why it is important to take the time to clean them in order for us to have a worry free household and not waste time in figuring out what to do next just because we choose not to do the cleaning in the first place and we waited for something big to happen before we took the responsibility in taking action. It is also a waste of money since bigger problems require bigger solutions and preventions. It only means that we will need to get better equipment, tools, better services that requires huge money. Which is preventable if we only take the time to make actions in the first place.
Bottom line, what happens when we don’t clean our gutters? it is a waste of time and money plus it can lead to multiple issues and worse could bring one’s life to a life and death situation. So check on your gutters and have them maintained.
How often should you clean your gutter?
There is no specific information as to how often we should clean gutters to achieve the optimal function, but on average, gutters should be cleaned at least three times a year. But this depends on how many trees surround your home and in which part of the globe you are located since weather seasons plays a role in this matter. But then again, it is recommended to check the system and clean them if debris is already piling up to prevent damage on the spouts and prevent clogging. Let us not wait until we encounter an issue before we clean these systems, prevention is the key to a much more enjoyable experience in our own home.
What tools do you need for gutter cleaning yourself?
So, we have gone through all the information above and we are now aware of the pros and cons. And we have finally decided to take action and invest in the equipment and tools needed for this task so we can do it ourselves because that is what we are aiming right to learn the benefits of cleaning our gutter systems and prevent the undesirable worst-case scenario.
Now, Amazon.com offers a lot of tools that will help us in getting this job done the right way. Plus there are different options to choose from depending on our spending power. There are tons of items to choose from, it can be from different brands and departments such as:
- RIGGED WASHER
- Tools Daily
- Gutter Edge
- BLACK + DECKER
- M MINGLE
Departments: There are several departments to choose from, these are the following
- Garden Hose Wands
- Pressure Washer Accessories
- Roofing Gutters
- Gutter Guards
- Gutter Downspouts
- All-Purpose Household Cleaners
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Garden & Outdoor
Check all the things that you need there. Tons of them will surely help us in making the job less risky, easy and fast. No need to worry because Amazon offers items that are affordable and there are items that is priced a little higher but will surely last for long. The good about if you buy it from Amazon is that they provide worldwide shipping, it means you have the opportunity to purchase items that are not offered in your region. Let us go over and list a few tools here that will help us in cleaning the gutter system and include their product information and prices.
The Wedge Gutter Cleaning Scoop – Water Exits Thru The Grid So You Only Pick Up Debris and Leaves
- The heavy-duty chisel teeth featured on the front edge make short work of stubborn packed-down leaf material.
- The Gutter Scoop’s mesh screen insures proper drainage of the debris being removed – allowing the old, brackish water to go where it belongs, down the downspout. Furthermore the reinforced bottom panel makes the Gutter Scoop the most durable multi-purpose scoop on the market today.
- The Gutter Scoop’s patented design allows you to clean out gutters quickly and safely of matted leaves, silt, and messy debris that have built up over time. Fits all standard gutters.
- Made In USA – Multi-purpose use! Great for pet food, fertilizer, gardening and much more!
- The Gutter Scoop’s unique size fits all 5″ or 6″ standard gutters. A conveniently placed mounting notch allows you to hang it anywhere – ready when you are. 4.2 Cup Volume
Buyplus Telescoping Gutter Cleaning Tool – 12 Foot Long Gutter Cleaners from The Ground, Extendable Gutter Cleaning Wand for Garden Hose, High Reach Gutter Cleaning Kit
- Gutter Cleaning Kit Application- Buyplus 4-to-11 feet extendable gutter cleaning tool is multifunctional and practical. With a whole range of water flow, the rain gutter cleaning tool is not just for roof gutters but also ideal for cleaning soffits, removing leaf, m-o-u-ld, watering plants and more.
- Telescopic Gutter Cleaning Pole- This long gutter cleaner can be extended up to approx. 11 feet. Combined with your own height, this gutter cleaning tool from the ground is long enough to reach most second story gutters, no more climbing rickety ladders or manually removing blockages. Universal thread fits for most standard threaded tools.
- Gutter Cleaner for Hose Connection- Buyplus telescoping gutter cleaning tool fits with most standard garden hoses. Two connecting guidance – 1. Use the water switch (C part shown in the picture) with adapter (E part shown in the picture) to connect garden hose directly. 2. Use the water switch (C part shown in the picture) without adapter (E part shown in the picture) to connect garden hose.
Chomp World’s Best Gutter Cleaner: Ultimate Gutter Cleaning Solution for All Types of Rain Gutters, Siding and Metal Trim – Instantly Clean Black Streaks, Filth, Dirt – 32 oz
- POWERFUL CLEANERS: Quickly removes dirt, debris and unsightly stains caused by runoff and oxidation
- WORKS ON: Cleans all types of siding, gutters and exterior trim including aluminum, vinyl and steel
- READY TO USE: No mixing needed – simply apply the wash and wipe or spray clean with a garden hose
- SAFE FORMULA: Our Earth-friendly gutter and house washer is non-toxic and biodegradable
- PAIR WITH: The Chomp mop extendable gutter cleaning tool to safely clean gutters from the ground
Now these are the products that will help you in cleaning the gutter system. Check over the link provided above to learn more about other products that are offered on Amazon.com.